What is CranioSacral Therapy?
CranioSacral Therapy is a gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and enhancing the function of the craniosacral system - the physiological body system comprised of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord.
Using a soft touch generally no greater than 5 grams, or about the weight of a nickel, practitioners release restrictions in the craniosacral system to improve the functioning of the central nervous system.
Developed by osteopathic physician John E. Upledger, DO, OMM, following extensive research from 1975 to 1983 at Michigan State University, where he served as a clinical researcher and Professor of Biomechanics.
CranioSacral Therapy enhances/complements the body's natural healing processes to improve the functioning of the central nervous system, dissipate the negative effects of stress, enhance health, and bolster resistance to disease.
Among the medical conditions for which CranioSacral Therapy has shown to be effective are:
- Migraine Headaches
- Chronic Neck and Back Pain
- Concussions / Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Post-Surgical Pain/Dysfunctions
- Orthopedic Problems
- Learning Disabilities
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Chronic Fatigue
- Central Nervous System Disorders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- TMJ Dysfunction
- Fibromyalgia and other Connective Tissue Disorders
- Stress and Tension-Related Problems
- Infantile Disorders (e.g. Torticollis, Latching problems)