NeuroCom SMART EquiTest®
What is it?
The cause of balance problems can be difficult to identify due to the wide variety of symptoms. Determining the best treatment protocol can be just as troublesome. This is where the NeuroCom® comes in; it is a crucial tool in diagnosing and treating balance disorders. The NeuroCom® is considered to be the "gold standard" for evaluating balance impairment. The techniques utilized were originally developed by NASA, and later, the National Institute of Health (NIH).
How does it work?
You are strapped into a harness and connected to the NeuroCom system for your safety. We then test your balance system by feeding it incorrect information - in the form of a moving platform and/or walls - and recording how you react to that.
- To identify balance and control problems, we use computerized equilibrium tests to evaluate the functional ability of the motor and sensory aspects of your balance system
- After the assessment, we analyze the data to create a personalized treatment plan that is best for your specific problems
- By re-taking the assessment throughout your rehabilitation journey, we can monitor your progress. This allows us to adapt exercise protocols to you benefit
Who can it help?
The NeuroCom® has clinical applications through all stages of recovery, and for a variety of disorders and conditions. The testing is appropriate for:
- Those planning on returning to work
- Patients with neurological conditions
- Vestibular disorders
- Patients with balance problems
- Vision disturbances
- Geriatric patients
- Fall risk patients