WHAT IS AQUATIC THERAPY?
Aquatic therapy is physical therapy that takes place in a pool or other aquatic environment under the supervision of a trained healthcare professional. Aquatic therapy is also known as water therapy, aquatic rehabilitation, aqua therapy, pool therapy, therapeutic aquatic exercise or hydrotherapy. It differs from Aquatic Exercise or Aerobics because it is supervised by a licensed physical therapist and is not in a group setting.
Aquatic therapy has been used for medical benefits since the ancient Greeks & Romans, who would bathe in hot springs to improve circulation and relaxation. Today, you can find aquatic therapy programs at professional sports complexes and even some retirement homes.
We are excited to provide this great therapy at FYZICAL Venice!
How Does it work?
During aquatic therapy, the buoyancy of the water, as well as the viscosity, offers a balance between decreased weight bearing and resistance that only a pool can offer. The FYZICAL Therapy & Balance Centers aquatic program is provided in a warm-water pool (approximately 89 degrees) by highly qualified therapists who design personalized exercise programs on a one-on-one basis. Because the water provides support for weight-bearing joints, treatment can begin sooner.
Aqua therapy can help with many difficulties. The combination of the warm water environment, underwater treadmill and hydro jets allow our clients to achieve amazing goals! Water therapy makes goals easier to attain and helps the seemingly impossible, become possible!
- Improving flexibility
- Improving balance and coordination
- Building muscle strength and endurance
- Enhancing aerobic capacity
- Assisting with gait and locomotion
- Reducing stress and promoting relaxation
Benefits of Aqua Therapy may include:
- Water offers special qualities that make rehab less painful
- Stimulates healing and strengthening of injured tissue
- Decreases pain from inflammation
- Stimulates endorphins that help control pain and alleviate tension
- Promotes stability
- Increases flexibility and range of motion
- Reduces joint stiffness
- Increases muscle strength, tone, and endurance
- Initiates walking in a low impact environment
- Replicates the proper biomechanics of land-based movements
- Improves cardiovascular endurance
Conditions Helped by Aqua Therapy:
The warm water environment in our therapy pool allows for natural healing. The body is able to become much more mobile due to the weightlessness in water. Water therapy is great for many conditions, including:
- Arthroscopic surgery recovery
- Balance disorders
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic pain
- Idiopathic joint pain
- Joint reconstruction surgery recovery
- Joint replacement surgery recovery
- Lower back pain
- Orthopedic injuries
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Spinal cord injury
- Sprains and strains
- Traumatic Brain Injury
If you or a loved one has an injury or condition that makes weight-bearing exercise too painful or risky, such as arthritis, stroke, or recent surgery on the knee, hip, back or neck, then pool therapy is the ideal way to get moving again and begin the rehabilitation process.