Physical Therapy in Hazle Township for Pain Care
Welcome to FYZICAL Hazleton’s resource on Radiofrequency Ablation.
Radiofrequency ablation is a treatment where radio waves are used to create heat and destroy a part of a nerve. This technique is most commonly used to treat pain that is originating in the facet joints of the spine. The procedure is used to destroy the end of the small nerves that provide sensation to the facet joints. Once the nerve is destroyed, you should no longer feel the pain from the worn out, painful facet joints. This procedure is also sometimes called a RFA (which is short for radiofrequency ablation), a rhizotomy, or a neurotomy.
This guide will help you understand:
- What parts of the spine are involved
- What the surgeon is trying to achieve
- What happens during the procedure
- What the possible complications are
- What FYZICAL Hazleton’s approach to rehabilitation is